VOTER PROTECTION ORGANIZER, FLORIDA DEMOCRATIC PARTY
The Florida Democratic Party (FD) is seeking a talented Voter Protection Organizer (VPO) to build a strong team of volunteer attorneys and advocates across the state. The successful candidate will help ensure that all eligible Floridians can cast ballots that count in 2020. The VPO will work with the other FDP Voter Protection Department staff and a statewide network of Democratic Party volunteers to develop, implement and manage a robust, year-round voter protection program throughout Florida. The program will provide a systematic framework of proactive support for the 2020 coordinated campaign. This position can be based in multiple locations: Tampa, Orlando, or Fort Lauderdale.
Voter Protection Organizer Duties
The VPO will be expected to:
- Recruit a robust team of volunteer attorneys and advocates who will serve as County Leads, Poll Watchers, Poll Observers and Voter Protection Hotline team members.
- Assist Voter Protection Director and Deputy Voter Protection Director with volunteer training and management.
- Cultivate relationships with community organizations and other allies, including faith organizations, bar associations, higher education institutions, and local business leaders to recruit volunteers and educate voters.
- Use digital tools to engage new volunteers, educate voters, and highlight our work on the ground.
- Report timely and accurate data to the Deputy Director.
Qualifications and Skills
We are seeking a detail-oriented do-er that can handle a high volume of work with a problem-solving “spirit of yes.” Our ideal candidate will be:
- A highly organized, data-driven leader. The ideal candidate can juggle competing priorities in a changing environment without dropping balls. S/he has demonstrated experience in managing volunteers, planning and executing events, and moving projects forward. S/he is comfortable using data to inform decision-making strategy, appreciate the importance of reporting clean and accurate data, and possesses a strong attention to detail.
- Strong cross-team collaborator who communicates with stakeholders early and often, closes the loop quickly on outstanding issues, and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, supervisors and other team leaders.
- Strong situational communicator, skilled at building bridges across lines of difference. The ideal candidate carefully adapts written and verbal communications to meet the needs and preferences of a diverse group of stakeholders. S/he carefully crafts tailored messages to each of the audiences s/he mobilizes to action.
- Self-starter who is highly-skilled at managing up. The ideal candidate knows how to leverage limited leader time to get information needed to move decisions and work forward.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, VAN/VoteBuilder and G Suite software platforms (Google Docs, Forms, Classroom and Sheets).
- Experience with social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- Demonstrated ability to stand up large-scale and diverse volunteer organizations that deliver results by motivating and holding volunteers accountable for their goals.
- Self-confident advocate for free and fair elections with a sophisticated understanding of racial inequalities and the history of structural racism in the state of Florida.
- Ability to organize in ways that promote racial justice in recognition of the disproportionate impact that voter intimidation and suppression have had on Florida’s communities of color.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in both one-on-one and group settings.
- Commitment to ensuring that all programs, deliverables and experiences are of a high quality and completed on time.
- Exceptional people skills and patience.
- Diligent work ethic: Our team will work long hours, especially as we get closer to election day. We will prioritize working smart, but we will also work hard.
- Good listener: Many of our co-workers and volunteers do not have our background or experience. They will not always know what is possible or even what to ask of us. Part of the successful candidate’s job is to listen closely, use common sense, and discern others’ true needs so that we can solve real problems.
- Positive attitude: Even amidst challenges, our team must remain optimistic and upbeat. This will make us more productive while encouraging our volunteers’ morale.
- Share Democratic Party values: Our mission is to elect all of our Florida Democratic Party candidates. You must share a passion for this mission. If you are inclined to support Republicans or be disengaged from politics, then this is not the job for you.
- A versatile team player with superb time management skills and the ability to manage multiple, complex projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines.
- Adaptive decision maker who enjoys constant new challenges and is comfortable holding volunteers accountable for their goals.
- At least two cycles of political or commensurate experience.
- Fluency in a second language; Spanish and/or Creole are desirable.
- Prior work as a Poll Watcher, Poll Observer or liaison to a Supervisor of Elections.
- Experience using Dialpad, Constant Contact, Mobilize, Typeform and LBJ software platforms.
- Strategy-minded professional with strong legal analytical skills and experience to advance client goals, solve problems creatively and push decisions forward.
- Must have a valid driver license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time.
- Must be able to travel outside of the state, often for several days at a time, to trainings and events.
- Office hours are 9:30 – 6:30, Monday through Friday. However, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly; there will often be very long work hours after the Democratic National Convention. Specific schedules will be determined as needs dictate.
- Must have the ability to bend, stoop and lift regularly, stand for long periods of time and carry 25 lbs.
Salary & Benefits
The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth, salary range is $42,000 to $50,000 commensurate with experience including excellent health, dental, vision and life insurance paid fully by the employer. The position is currently slated through November 30, 2020 and may be renewed for permanency.
To apply, e-mail a letter describing your interest in the job, your resume, cover letter, and a list of references to Juan Peñalosa at email@example.com and use Voter Protection Organizer as the subject line. Please do not contact by phone.
FDP believes that our differences enhance our strength and we believe that we benefit from a staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.