COALITIONS DIRECTOR, FLORIDA DEMOCRATIC PARTY
The Florida Democratic Party (FDP) is currently seeking a candidate with experience in Florida Democratic campaigns, Democratic politics or progressive non-profit partners to build the coalitions necessary to elect Democrats at all levels of government and defeat Donald Trump in Florida in 2020.
The Coalitions Director will be tasked with building partnerships with progressive and faith partners as well as elected officials, labor leaders, progressive donors and grassroots organizations in Florida.
This position plays a key role for capacity building and will be responsible for serving as a liaison between the Florida Democratic Party and the Democratic and progressive ecosystem. The Coalitions Director must have both the vision and skills to enable the organization to secure partners for Democratic Party programs and partners who are willing to help elect Democrats up and down the ticket in advance of 2020.
Other key duties include participation in fundraising and program development for the Party. The job requires a flexible schedule, willingness to travel across the state, creativity, attention to detail, ability to communicate, engage and collaborate with a wide variety of audiences and partners.
Coalition and Program Development
- Organizes and facilitates coalition development and capacity building.
- Looks for opportunities to engage new community partners and build coalition membership.
- Community event planning related to Florida Democratic Party’s mission and goals.
- Partners with the FDP departments to develop organizational plans for the Party in relation to coalition building.
- Maintains and utilizes a working knowledge of significant developments, trends, and best practices in the Florida political sphere.
- Maintains connections with other Democratic and progressive coalitions who have an interest in Florida and looks for opportunities to collaborate on projects with local, state and national partners.
- Assist with implementation of FDP needs, resource assessments and surveys as appropriate.
- Use information gleaned in the field to identify gaps in FDP’s programmatic efforts to elect Democrats and defeat Donald Trump and work with leadership to close those gaps through new programs, new partnerships or expansion of existing programs.
- Build programs, write program plans and help to secure budget for FDP endeavors to elect Democrats in Florida through expansion of partnerships and community efforts.
- Represent the mission of the Florida Democratic Party and serves as an advocate for the Party to organizations, donors, elected officials and the general public.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Responsible for the enhancement of FDP’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other elected leaders, Party officials and staff and professional, civic and private organizations.
- Collaborate with Democratic and progressive organizations, elected officials, and all organizations working to elect Democrats in 2019 and 2020.
- Develop a feedback loop between the Party and local, state and national partners to improve Party programs and build community.
- Develop programs that will help build coalitions needed to elect Democrats in Florida.
- FDP is a program- and metrics-driven organization. You will be expected to meet weekly, monthly and annual goals, including, but not limited to, goals and metrics related to call time, one-on-ones and number of coalition partners across the state.
- Develop coalition networks and partners from Destin to Dade, which will require a great deal of travel (primarily via car).
- Identify opportunities for improvement of existing programs and opportunities to expand programs and outreach through partnerships.
- Produce reports and feedback summaries on programming to ensure successful achievement of statewide goals and objectives.
- Create and manage an outward facing calendar of all party meetings, program events and activities for coalition partners.
- Work closely with County Democratic Party, Clubs and Caucuses.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Diligent Work Ethic: Our team will work long hours, especially as we get closer to Election Day. We will prioritize working smart, but we will also work hard.
- Good Listener: Many of our colleagues don't come from a background in Party politics. They won't always know what's possible or even what to ask us for. Part of your job is to listen closely, use common sense, and discern needs and opportunities.
- Positive Attitude: Even on tough days, our team needs to remain optimistic and upbeat. This will make us more productive, and, to an extent, positive attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Share Democratic Values: Our mission is to elect all of our Florida Democratic candidates. You need to share a passion for this mission. If you are inclined to support Republicans, to split your ticket, or are disengaged from politics, then this isn't the job for you.
- Experience in creating programs, budgets and running events and programs.
- At least 4 years experience in Democratic politics or non-profits in a position that is outward facing and interacts with progressive and Democratic leaders. This is not an entry-level position.
- At least 2 years experience working in the Democratic or progressive ecosystem in Florida.
- Experience in working as part of a team responsible for raising funds and securing donations to implement programs that build community or elect Democrats.
- Knowledge of Democratic Party operations and campaign best practices.
- Skill in researching, compiling, and analyzing data to report findings and develop improvements.
- Skill in public speaking and providing presentations before diverse audiences.
- Skill in developing standardized processes and procedures.
- Ability to facilitate and coordinate meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and written.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to manage an online (webinar) training program and all relevant technical needs.
- Be responsive and timely to all training and support requests.
Other Job Related Requirements
- Travel to satellite and other statewide locations to prepare, coordinate and deliver training.
- Attend various meetings as assigned by leadership and serve as a support resource to local organizations.
- May require day and/or overnight travel and non-traditional work schedules.
- Ability to drive, have a good driving record and don’t mind driving long distances
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Prior professional experience working with, and managing, volunteers.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Familiarity with VAN.
- Must have a valid driver license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time.
- Must be able to travel outside of the state, often for several days at a time, to national trainings and events.
- Office hours are 9:30 – 6:30, Monday through Friday. However, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly.
- Must have the ability to regularly lift and carry 25 lbs.
Salary & Benefits
The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth. Salary range is competitive and commensurate with experience including excellent insurance paid fully by the employer. The position is currently slated through December 31, 2020 and may be renewed for permanency. To apply, e-mail a letter describing your interest in the job, your resume, cover letter, and a list of references to Juan Peñalosa at email@example.com and use Statewide Coalitions Director as the subject line. Please do not contact by phone.
FDP believes that our differences enhance our strength and we believe that we benefit from a staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.